Thursday, August 4, 2011

Word of the Day: Intransigence

Meaning: Refusing to moderate a position, especially an extreme position; uncompromising.

Is there a better way to describe the Tea Party? I think that pretty much sums it up. This is a group of people ho would rather see the country's economy crash and burn than allow taxes to be raised. It's simply childish and completely without foresight. How anybody can back these people up is beyond me. I have to give props to Sen. John McCain for calling them out during the debt ceiling debate, and managing to reference Lord of the Rings in the Process.



So please, Tea party, stop acting like such a bunch of brats and start using some common sense. But really, I should be speaking to your supporters. So please, Tea Party supporters, understand the consequences of electing people like this into office. They rely completely on faith-based politics, so there is no reasoning with them. That kind of thinking has no place in Washington. What ever happened to separation of church and state? I'm sick of hearing religious reasoning behind issues like abortion and gay marriage. No matter what your religious beliefs, the bottom line is the government has no right to discriminate against people because of their sexual orientation and it shouldn't eb able to force a woman to put her body through the trials of pregnancy if she doesn't want a baby.

Currently, in Ohio, there is a bill that, if passed, would severely restrict abortions to the point where they would basically be illegal. This "Heartbeat Bill" would "ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detectable, which can be as early as six weeks." It doesn't even contain exceptions for instances of rape, incest, or the life/health of the mother. This bill is a huge challenge to Roe vs. Wade, so if it passes, it will certainly go to court where, hopefully, it will crash and burn with the intensity of 1,000 suns.

But I digress. I would also like to throw a shout out to Matt Damon, who has given some fantastic interviews recently on his political views. I especially love the one where he rips the reporter a new one concerning incentivizing teachers.

No comments:

Post a Comment